One of the most common questions we get from people right after they ask "did you build your trailer?", is "How do you cook in your tiny trailer?"
My answer? Surprisingly well! We love our induction stove top because it keeps consistent heat and is a dream to clean. And it is completely portable. So we were able to bring it to the hotel room when family was visiting and make home made meals right in the room. And the little refrigerator that we were worried about holding more than just milk, is more like Mary Poppins bag, always surprising us with how much it can hold. And we have our awesome Orca cooler for extra storage (and beer of course!)
Our go to meals during the week are things like tacos, salads, soups, and stir-frys. All easy to make in a single pot or pan, and use relatively simple ingredients. The instant pot has come in handy to bake sweet potatoes (it can bake them in less than 20 minutes) and to make chili and soups.
I will be making a video of me preparing dinner in the upcoming weeks, but in the meantime, here is the recipe for the chili we have made several times using the instant pot in our tiny trailer.
Instant Pot Chili
- 1 pound of ground beef, preferably grass-fed organic ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large can of chopped tomatoes, 26 oz can
- 1 small-medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed*
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 of a jalapeno, finely diced (optional)
- 1 can of Black beans or 1 1/2 cup precooked beans**
- Sour Cream
- Plain Yogurt
- Green onions
- Jack cheese
- diced purple onion
- Fresh lime juice
- Cilantro leaves
* The sweet potato almost completely breaks down in the Instant Pot, acting as a thickener. If you prefer the sweet potato to be in cubes, cook the potato separately and add before serving.
**Add drained and rinsed black beans to chili and then let them heat through for 5 minutes on the "keep warm" setting.
1. Press the "Saute" button on the Instant Pot and cook the ground beef until brown, Remove beef and drain excess fat if necessary. Return beef to Instant Pot and press "cancel" button the the Instant Pot.
2. Add remaining ingredients (except the black beans) to the Instant Pot. Mix ingredients well. Check that the vent is set to seal, and then press the "manual" button on the Instant Pot and select 10 minutes of cooking time. Allow the Instant Pot to naturally release pressure, then remove lid and stir in black beans and return lid. Allow the chili to stay on the "warm" setting for 5 minutes as the beans warm up and then serve. Top chili with sour cream (or plain yogurt), green onions, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime juice.
I think chili is even better the second day, so make a big batch!